Office: 311 Mechanical Engineering Office Building
Phone: 979-458-3580 Fax: 979-845-3081
Experimental fluid mechanics (hydrodynamic instabilities), turbulent mixing and supersonic combustion, impulsive unsteady phenomena, shock tube applications, experimental thermal hydraulics and laser diagnostics, design of thermal systems, shock wave lithotripsy.EDUCATION
- Ph.D. in Mech. Eng., University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2007
- M.S. in Mech. Eng., University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2005
- B.E. in Mech. Eng., National Institute of Technology-Trichy, 2003
Assistant Professor, Dept. Of Mechanical Engineering, Texas A&M University, Jan. 2009-Present.
Director’s Research Fellow, Los Alamos National Laboratory, October-December 2008
Postdoctoral Research Associate, Los Alamos National Lab, January-September 2008
Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Engineering Physics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, June 2003-December 2007
Instructor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison, June-August 2007
Summer Intern, Engineering Mechanics Unit, JNCASR-Bangalore, INDIA, June –Aug. 2002 and Jan.-April 2003HONORS AND AWARDS
- Director’s Research Fellow, Los Alamos National Laboratory, 2008
- Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship for Postdoctoral Research, August 2007
- Best Student Contribution (co-authored by John Niederhaus), 16th American Nuclear Society Topical Meeting on the Technology of Fusion Energy, September, 2004.
- Best Poster (co-authored by Dr. Om Prakash Singh), International Conference on Advances in Fluid Mechanics, Bangalore, India, July 2003
- Rajiv Gandhi Science Talent Research Scholar, 2002
- Summer Research Fellowship, JNCASR-Bangalore, 2002 & 2003
- Ranjan, D., Niederhaus, J. H. J., Oakley, J., Anderson, M., Greenough, J. A, and Bonazza, R., ``Experimental and numerical investigation of shock-induced distortion of a spherical gas inhomogeneity,” Physica Scripta, T132 (2008).
- Ranjan, D., Niederhaus, J., Oakley, J., Anderson, M., Bonazza, R., and Greenough, J., “Shock-bubble interactions: features of divergent refraction geometry observed in experiments and simulations,” Physics of Fluids, 20, 036101 (2008).
- Niederhaus, J. H. J., Greenough, J. A, Oakley, J., Ranjan, D., Anderson, M., and Bonazza, R., “A computational parameter study for the three-dimensional shock-bubble interaction,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 594, 85 (2008).
- Ranjan, D., Niederhaus, J., Motl, B., Anderson, M., Oakley, J., and Bonazza, R., “Experimental investigation of primary and secondary features in high Mach number shock-bubble interaction,” Physical Review Letters, 98, 024502 (2007).
- Motl, B., Niederhaus, J., Ranjan, D., Oakley, J., Anderson, M., and Bonazza, R., “Experimental Study for ICF-Related Richtmyer-Meshkov Instabilities,” Fusion Science and Technology, 52, 4 (2007).
- Ranjan, D., Anderson, M., Oakley, J., and Bonazza, R., “Experimental Investigation of a Strongly Shocked Gas bubble,” Physical Review Letters, 94, 184507 (2005).
- Niederhaus, J., Ranjan, D., Oakley, J., Anderson, M., and Bonazza, R., “Inertial-Fusion-Related Hydrodynamic Instabilities in a Spherical Gas Bubble Accelerated by a Planar Shock Wave,” Fusion Science and Technology, 47, 4 (2005), pp. 1160-1164