• Acoustics and Applied Signal Processing
• Nonlinear Acoustics
• Sound Field Visualizations Based on Array Measurements
• Noise and Vibration Control
• Structural Health Monitoring Based on Array Signal Processing
• Vibro-Acoustically Optimized Composite Structures
• Acoustics in Oil/Gas Industry
• Acoustophoresis in Microfluidic Devices
• Computational Mechanics
• Computational Aeroacoustics (CAA)
• Finite Element Analysis (FEA), Boundary Element Analysis (BEA), Statistical Energy Analysis (SEA)
• Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, 2003
• M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, 1997
• B.S., Mechanical Design and Production Engineering, Chung-Ang University, 1994
• Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, Texas A&M University, 09/2009 - Present
• Acoustic Analysis Engineer/Scientist, Boeing Company, 06/2004 - 07/2009
• Visiting Assistant Professor/Instructor, Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, 08/2003 - 05/2004
• Research Assistant, Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, 08/1999 - 08/2003
• Assistant Researcher, Institute of Advanced Machinery and Design, Seoul National University, 05/1999 - 08/1999
• Project Engineer, Bruel & Kjaer Korea Ltd., 01/1997 - 02/1999
• Part-time Researcher, Samsung Institute of Engineering & Construction Technology, 07/1997 - 12/1997
• Research Assistant, Mechanical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, 03/1995 - 02/1997
• Research Assistant, Mechanical Design and Production Engineering, Chung-Ang University, 01/1993 - 02/1995
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (*: Graduate Students)
• Yong‐Joe Kim and Je‐Heon Han*, "Identification of acoustic characteristics of honeycomb sandwich composite panels using Hybrid Analytical/Finite Element Method," the ASME journal of Vibration and Acoustics, accepted, 2012.
• Yaying Niu* and Yong-Joe Kim, "Three-dimensional visualizations of open fan noise fields," the Noise Control Engineering Journal, accepted, 2012.
• Yong-Joe Kim and Yaying Niu*, "Statistically Optimal Nearfield Acoustical Holography in subsonically convective fluid medium," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 331(17), pp. 3945- 3960, 2012.
• Hyu-Sang Kwon, Yaying Niu, and Yong-Joe Kim, "Planar Nearfield Acoustical Holography in moving fluid medium at subsonic and uniform velocity," Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 128(4), pp. 1823-1832, 2010.
• Yong-Joe Kim, J. Stuart Bolton, and Hyu-Sang Kwon, "Partial sound field decomposition in multireference near-field acoustical holography by using optimally located virtual references," Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 115, pp. 1641-1652, 2004.
• Yong-Joe Kim and J. Stuart Bolton, "Effects of rotation on the dynamics of a circular cylindrical shell with application to tire vibration," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 275, pp. 605-621, 2004.
• Hyu-Sang Kwon, Yong-Joe Kim, and J. Stuart Bolton, "Compensation for source non-stationarity in multi-reference, scan-based Nearfield Acoustical Holography," Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 113, pp. 350-368, 2003.